From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] on behalf of
Wayne Bickerdike [wayn...@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 22, 2020 11:16 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: OOBOL and English was Re: Still COBOL After All These Years?

WTF? It's true that both used (past tense) the freezing and boiling point
of "water" at STP, but since when weren't they defined outside of 0-100?"

Because:

The centigrade scale was confusing because "centigrade" was also the
Spanish and French term for a unit of angular measurement equal to 1/100 of
a right angle. When the scale was extended from 0 to 100 degrees for
temperature, centigrade was more properly hectograde. The public was
largely unaffected by the confusion. Even though the degree Celsius was
adopted by international committees in 1948, weather forecasts issued by
the BBC continued to use degrees centigrade until February 1985.

Wayne V. Bickerdike