Thank you all for your insightful user experiences in response to my question.
If I may summarize the points that apply to my particular situation:

        * No real issues with respect to backups, particularly for
consolidations, e.g.
of volume pools -- in fact we may even see a slight improvement in backup
turnaround.
        * No special considerations for mirroring, the same challenges would
seem to
apply in general, in all three cases.
        * The standard disclaimer still applies, however, with respect to
critical
small datasets, such as the JES2 checkpoint and combinations of couple
datasets,
that requires a compromise between simplifying the configuration and wasting a
LOT of space on a MOD-27 or maintaining a small subset of MOD-9s and wasting
much less space in a slightly more complicated configuration
I should also have mentioned:  No HyperPAV, possibly PPRC or maybe XRC around
the corner, and all backups under the umbrella of DFSMShsm.

Again, thanks -- IBM-Main rules!

Tom Sims
zOS guy since the daze of XA...