From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On
Behalf Of Jan Vanbrabant
Sent: Tuesday, February 26, 2013 11:06
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: ''MVS overhead'' (as indicated by OMEGAMON)

Thanks to you all for your thoughts and good advice so far!*
*
Horst,

*Re. you saying:
(IMHO the term "overhead" is misleading, 'management time' would be more
accurate).*

What do you mean by this?
Simply stated:   overhead is all wat is NOT 'captured' on some
application
or  sw component.
LPAR Mgt time  for example *is* reported.

So, what are you having in mind?
Work Load Mgr ?    (your beloved  'baby'  ;-)    )

Jan

On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 5:21 PM, Horst Sinram <sin...@de.ibm.com> wrote:

> Jan,
>
> it appears the monitor is trying to tell you that you have a low
> "capture ratio". Searching for that term should give you a good
> understanding of what the message really means, and in a lot of good
> advice, e.g. in the "Effective zSeries Performance Monitoring Using
> Resource Measurement Facility" publication. (IMHO the term "overhead"
> is misleading, 'management time' would be more accurate).
> If you believe there might be a problem you may want to start with
> verifying LPAR configuration and IEAOPTxx settings (any obscure timing

> parameters? Anything violating recommendations?). You could also
> verify that the capture ratio is indeed low using SMF70/72 data.
>
> Phantom weight is irrelevant in this context. It is only a vehicle to
> tell PR/SM how to cap the partition. The fact that the LPAR *is*
> capped at that time (to what extent?) may very well be relevant,
> though: More work, longer work queues...
> CPUMF counters won't help you diagnosing anything. CPUMF sampling
> could help -theoretically- but the data may be very hard to evaluate.
>
> Horst Sinram - IBM z/OS Workload Management

email to lists...@listserv.ua.edu with the message: INFO IBM-MAIN
e-mail, and delete this message.

33014286