Enterprise PL/I 5.2 supports ARCH(12) so has your desired vector
instruction support.  For completeness, so do Cobol 6.2, XL/C 2.3 and Java
8.5.  Again no source code change in PL/I is needed, just recompile with
ARCH(12) option.  Really sad that IBM doesn't publicize these features
better.... vector usage can cut cpu and elapsed time dramatically (I've
seen 80% reduction for intensive programs).  Great reason to upgrade the
hardware and compilers :)