There is an LE run time option that controls whether messages are produced
for errors, or not ... your installation option has chosen no message.  You
can set runtime options at system, job or individual program level.  Your
cobol program can even call CEEHDLR to set its own condition handler.  None
of this is related to compiler options, it is Language Environment.  Having
a potential storage overlay turned into correct result automagically is
pretty impressive, imho, but I agree that changing compiler options for
optimization can often expose latent programming bugs.  Hopefully that
program isn't still running unmodified in 2100 when the leap year
calculation will be wrong :)