From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> on behalf of
Charles Mills <charl...@mcn.org>
Sent: Tuesday, September 15, 2020 6:20 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: How get a user to use his own catalog rather than master?

I really apologize for the incredible newbie question. I am a developer; I
only pretend to be a sysadmin.

I don't even know where to look for this answer. Is it a RACF question or
???

I have defined a new user in RACF. Let's call him or her NEWUSER. I have
defined a generic profile 'NEWUSER.**' (with quotes!) and given NEWUSER
ACC(ALTER) to it.

When NEWUSER tries to create a dataset it fails with

ICH408I USER(NEWUSER ) GROUP(etc.
  CATALOG.MASTER.xxxxxxx CL(DATASET ) VOL(xxxxxx)
  INSUFFICIENT ACCESS AUTHORITY
  FROM CATALOG.MASTER.** (G)
  ACCESS INTENT(UPDATE )  ACCESS ALLOWED(READ   )

What else do I need to do? I don't think I want to PERMIT NEWUSER to
CATALOG.MASTER.xxxxxxx; I think it should have its own catalog? Am I
confused or on the right track?

Charles