If the Wikipedia article,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modular_arithmetic#Residue_systems, is correct:

In mathematics, modular arithmetic (sometimes called clock arithmetic) is a
system of arithmetic for integers, where numbers "wrap around" upon reaching
a certain value-the modulus.
The Swiss mathematician Leonhard Euler pioneered the modern approach to
congruence in about 1750, when he explicitly introduced the idea of
congruence modulo a number N.[1]
Modular arithmetic was further advanced by Carl Friedrich Gauss in his book
Disquisitiones Arithmeticae, published in 1801.

Then Euler invented it, and Gauss improved it.

Don