From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> on behalf of CM
Poncelet <ponce...@bcs.org.uk>
Sent: Monday, September 21, 2020 10:18 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Caution: "Hacked" email caused the distribution of a potentially
harmful attachment

FWIW

(a) Begin by assuming that *all* received emails are spam/scam (and
define this as the bottom line catch-all message filter) *unless* a
higher up message filter recognizes both the sender(s)'s and the 'to'
recipient's addresses as valid.
(b) The sender's original email address can be found towards the end in
the message headers, as in the "received from ... for ..." message
header line.
(c) Spam/scam emails can be sent to
https://www.spamcop.net/mcgi?action=loginform for verification, if need be.

The 'trick' to get around spammers/scammers is to use message filters,
with the bottom line catch-all filter saying something like "if the
subject does not contain <whatever random alphanumeric characters> *and*
the sender is not <whatever more random chars>@<whatever else> then save
the email in the trash/delete folder" - which then ensures that the
email is never saved in the "Inbox" folder.

A more skilful 'trick' is to have many different email IDs and give out
a different email ID to every company, individual etc. (and keep a
record of which email ID was given to whom) - so that, if a spammer or
scammer gets hold of it, it can be deleted and a replacement new email
ID can be created ... and then also determine from whom the
spammer/scammer harvested the old and now deleted email ID. That kills
off spammers and scammers, because any further emails sent to the old
email ID just bounce as "undeliverable" and they cannot guess what the
new email ID is. But that requires owning one or more domain names and
being able to create/delete email IDs associated with it/them. (I
have/use more than 200 email IDs across more than 30 domain names.)

HTH.

Cheers, Chris Poncelet (retired sysprog)