Each recycle process only takes only 50% more drives: three instead of two.

Unless it has recently changed, one annoying thing about DFHSM in a tape-drive constrained environment is there is no easy way to put an absolute upper bound on the maximum number of drives needed concurrently by all DFHSM tasks. Yes, you can separately restrict the number of daily backup tasks, daily ML2 movement tasks, and migration recall tasks; but this doesn't really address the unpredictable concurrent demand from asynchronous ML2 recall requests and demand backup requests that may go directly to tape; and those requests can occur at inconvenient times, like when ML2 migration, or auto-backup to tape, or recycle is in progress. If you want to more-tightly restrict the total number of drives used by unscheduled DFHSM tasks during scheduled tasks with high drive demand, there is no easy way to do just that, and the greater drive requirements with duplexing can make this more of an issue.

I would never use DFHSM with today's high-capacity cartridges without duplexing, but in some environments duplexing may require adding additional drives.
    JC Ewing