Hi Esmee,
Not strictly dfhsm, but you should also consider your actual tape environment.
Assuming you have at least 2 separate librarys you need to ensure that your
copy volumes are directed to a 2nd library.

If you have virtual tape libraries I would also consider it good practice to
have seperate storagegroups/pools within the librarys so that dfhsm migration
and backup tapes end up on different physical volumes when migrated off of
cache on to back end stacked tapes.
There are 2 points to that:-
(a) if you have mass dataset recalls which are on dozens of virtual tapes,
having a seperate pool for mig tapes will reduce the amount of back end tape
mounts going on.
(b) You can (and do) end up losing physical stacked volumes every now and then,
losing possilbly thousands of virtual volumes, so it would simplify recovery.

If you only have one big virtual library for everything in your datacentre,
then having separate pools for master and alternate tapes would be pretty
essential; also worthwhile for each plex to be distinct.

These are generalisations as it always depends on each individual companys
setups and working practices.
If you are in a multi grid setup you may not think it worthwhile.

kind regards,
                    Dave

Joel C. Ewing,    Bentonville, AR       jcew...@acm.org