On Wed, 30 Sep 2020 13:59:02 +0000, Pommier, Rex wrote:

>OK, thanks.  I hadn't considered the "I'm going to because I can" angle,
>namely because I'm more of the "why would you even want to do that, even if
>you can, it'll cause problems." Kind of guy.  But I know the adage, every time
>somebody makes something foolproof, the universe comes up with a bigger fool.

I like the phrasing, "... you've underestimated the resourcefulness of your
fool."

I endorse Doug Gwyn's maxim:
    Unix was not designed to stop its users from doing stupid things,
    as that would also stop them from doing clever things.

Looking for a citation, I found:
    https://opensource.com/business/14/12/linux-philosophy

I'm bookmarking it.  But I believe in highway guardrails.  Less in
sysadmins who "alias rm='rm -i'".  And I was irritated when ISPF,
which  I had long been using suddenly began requiring confirmation
on "Delete"; no profile to disable it.

-- gil