Have you tried:

CLC    0(4,R6), =C'VPRT'

-----Original Message-----
From: Crabtree, Anne D [mailto:anne.d.crabt...@wv.gov]
Sent: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 11:20 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: JES exit 6

Thanks!  I've gotten to the point I know what is going on (thanks to a lot of
help from people!)

In our JES2 parmlib on production, I have statements like this:
DESTID(VPRT1234) DEST=U1234

Therefore, the JCTPRRID contains x'40's for this particular destination.
However, the JCTPROUT has the hex representation and I'm trying to use $DEST to
convert it back to a symbolic.  So, far that works but now I'm stuck on how to
compare that symbolic to the character string 'VPRT'.  This command:

CLC    =CL4'VPRT',0(R6)

Gets a S0C4.  I see the string 'VPRT' at the address in R6 but evidently I
can't compare them this way.

Anyway, that's where I am so far on this problem.

Anne D. Crabtree
System Programmer
WV Office of Technology Data Center
1900 Kanawha Blvd East