On Thu, 8 Oct 2020 10:44:09 -0500, Dave Jousma <david.jou...@53.com> wrote:

>Anyone know any more about this?
>
>https://www.reuters.com/article/us-ibm-divestiture/ibm-to-break-up-109-year-old-company-to-focus-on-cloud-growth-idUSKBN26T1TZ
>
>https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/ibm-to-accelerate-hybrid-cloud-growth-strategy-and-execute-spin-off-of-market-leading-managed-infrastructure-services-unit-301148458.html

IBM's announcements says that IBM will "separate its Managed Infrastructure
Services unit of its Global Technology Services division into a new public
company."

It might help to understand that the IBM Systems and IBM Global Technology
Services (GTS) divisions are in very different businesses.

IBM Systems produces hardware, operating systems, and related software products
for sale.  In support of that it also has its own "Lab Services" group that is
focused on helping clients embrace the new, as well as understand the old.   We
have some amount of overlap with GTS, but we're on a much smaller scale with
more advanced and more tightly focused services.

GTS is focused on contracted services that include system operations, data
center management and operation, application development (formerly of IBM
Global Business Services), long-term staff augmentation, project management,
general IT consulting, and Other Duties As Assigned.

One suspects that a considerable amount of effort has been spent drawing a line
between "Managed Infrastructure Services" and "Other".  At some point IBM will
publish more details, I'm sure.

Alan Altmark
IBM Systems Lab Services
Senior Managing z/VM Consultant