shmuel+...@patriot.net (Shmuel Metz  , Seymour J.) writes:
> The S/370 supported both 2 KiB and 4 KiB pages; the 360/67 only
> supported 4 KiB. As I recall, DOS/VS and OS/VS1 used 2 KiB, while
> OS/VS2 used 4 KiB. I don't recall what page sizes Virtual Machine
> Facility/370 supported.

360/67 support 4kbyte pages and 1mbyte segments ... but it also
supported 24bit and 32bit virtual addressing modes (aka 16mbyte and
4gbyte virtual address spaces).

370 support 2kbyte and 4kbyte pages and 64kbyte and 1mbyte segments
... but only 16mbyte virtual address sapce.

cp67 was modified to provide 370 virtual address spaces ... supporting
all the 370 option combinations ... it had "shadow tables" that emulated
the various 370 options (using the rules defined for the hardware TLB,
table lookaside buffer) ... which mapped the 370 virtual machine virtual
address spaces (2k&4k pages, 64k&1m segments) to the 370 virtual machine
space. This was in regular use on 360/67 a year before the first 370
hardware engineering machine was operational with hardware virtual
memory support.

basically vm370 adopted the cp67 shadow table approach ... but mapped to
370 hardware tables instead of mapped to 360/67 hardware tables.