l...@garlic.com (Anne & Lynn Wheeler) writes:
> 360/67 support 4kbyte pages and 1mbyte segments ... but it also
> supported 24bit and 32bit virtual addressing modes (aka 16mbyte and
> 4gbyte virtual address spaces).
>
> 370 support 2kbyte and 4kbyte pages and 64kbyte and 1mbyte segments
> ... but only 16mbyte virtual address sapce.
>
> cp67 was modified to provide 370 virtual address spaces ... supporting
> all the 370 option combinations ... it had "shadow tables" that emulated
> the various 370 options (using the rules defined for the hardware TLB,
> table lookaside buffer) ... which mapped the 370 virtual machine virtual
> address spaces (2k&4k pages, 64k&1m segments) to the 370 virtual machine
> space. This was in regular use on 360/67 a year before the first 370
> hardware engineering machine was operational with hardware virtual
> memory support.
>
> basically vm370 adopted the cp67 shadow table approach ... but mapped to
> 370 hardware tables instead of mapped to 360/67 hardware tables.

re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2013c.html#13 I do not understand S0C6 on CDSG

2kbyte versus 4kbyte virtual pages were trade-off between efficiency
between being able to pack a program into small real storage against
efficiency of I/O transfer of larger blocks ... even when all the larger
page might not be required.

as real storage got larger and disk i/o became more & more a bottleneck
the trade-off of 2kbyte pages shifted more and more to larger page
sizes.

in the wake of FS failure
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/submain.html#futuresys

there was resumed efforts to get products back into 370 pipeline.  I got
roped into helping with one of these with ECPS (vm370 microcode assist)
for 138/148 (follow-on to 135/145 ... faster processor, larger real
storage as well as larger storage for microcode). Old post describing
some of the ECPS effort in spring of 1975:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/94.html#21 370 ECPS VM micrcode assist

A combination of ECPS, VS1/VM370 handshaking, larger storage, etc
resulting in VS1 running faster under vm370 than on bare real machine.
Part of this was VS1/VM370 handshaking layed out the VS1 virtual address
space in VM370 virtual machine address space of the same size ... so VS1
never directly did its own page .... i.e. all paging activities were
done by VM370 4kbytes at a time (compared to the VS1 2kbytes at a time
paging).

The other issue was my page replacement algorithm in vm370 and my VM370
pathlength for doing paging operations were both significantly better
than VS1 (or OS/VS2, SVS and MVS).

As part of this, Endicott attempted to convince corporate that all 138
and 148 machines should be shipped with vm370 natively installed at the
factory (short of like current generation with every machine with LPAR).
However, this was in the period that POK was convincing corporate to
kill off the vm370 product, shutdown the vm370 development group, move
all the people to POK (other otherwise POK wouldn't be able to meet the
MVS/XA ship schedule in the 80s). Endicott managed to obtain the VM370
product mission but had to reconstitute a VM370 development group from
scratch (and weren't able to convince corporate that vm370 ship on every
Endicott machine).

In the case of OS/VS2 (both SVS and MVS) I couldn't do anything about
their enormous pathlengths for paging & page i/o ... but I did try
(unsuccesfully) to get them to do much better page replacement
algorithms ... pointing out some very bad decisions that they were
making as part of their original effort. There was one scenario with
incorrect decision in page replacement living on well into MVS release
cycle ... when somebody finally fixed it ... and got an award for fixing
it. They then called to see if they could do something similar/award for
vm370. I pointed out that I had never done it wrong since the original
changes I made as undergradudate in the 60s to cp67 ... and in fact
tried to prevent the OS/VS2 crowd from originally doing it wrong.

misc. past posts mentioning paging & page replacement algorithms
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#wsclock