From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] on behalf of
Charles Mills [charl...@mcn.org]
Sent: Thursday, November 5, 2020 12:56 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: FSUM7197 pax: invalid archive format selected

It's fine that UNIX is designed for professionals but (a.) some of us are
professionals at many things but have to use UNIX only occasionally; and (b.)
no one is born a professional. If you make it hard for folks to get started as
non-professionals, then they will gravitate elsewhere and become professionals
there. That may be why Windows is a lot more common choice for desktops than is
UNIX. (And why z/OS is not exactly storming the marketplace. Your COND= plaint
is of course legendary.) Good software design would be newbie-friendly by
default, and accommodating of professionals if one so chose.

The link is amusing. Thanks. I don't hate UNIX. I am not a computer religious
zealot. People pay me to use computers, and I enjoy doing so for the most part,
so I do. This feature of UNIX wasted an hour of my client's time. And some of
your time and Gil's. And others who read the post, shook their heads, and moved
on.

> IBM really goofed up by not using the GNU libraries

IBM does not share their thinking with me but I suspect they wanted "real"
UNIX, and GNU is of course ... Not UNIX.

Charles