In the case my programmers found, there was a call for a user abend with value
of 36.  As I think on this, I have no idea for sure that behavior from Syncsort
would have been different.  I have no idea when the last time this condition
occurred such that the program on question issued the error.
As Seymour points out, this wasn't a program check.