On Wed, 2 Dec 2020 16:34:27 +0000, Seymour J Metz wrote:

>> In some cases, such as 3.17, ISPF puts a visible pillarbox around the 80
>> columns, marking it with  "|".
>
>In those cases you're dealing with two input fields; you'd get the same insert
>behavior if the input fields and the intervening output fields were in the
>same line.

I was unclear.  3.17 has an adjunct panel where the user can enter a full
pathname   On a Mod 2/4 this is formatted as a single field occupying 12
lines and most of a 13th.  On a Mod 5 it's 13 separate fields in a pillarbox.

So, if I realize I've omitted characters or a level, I must turn on INSERT;
go to the end of each prior line and delete the necessary characters;
go to the beginning and retype those characters from the end of the
previous line; etc.

IBM's excuse is that protects the user against unwittingly entering more
than 1023 characters and receiving "EDC5126I   Filename too long."
Sheesh!  It's no harder to recover from EDC5126I than from a locked
keyboard.  And that's an unlikely error anyway.  And I can force the
EDC5126I anyway by entering a pathname containing a symlink.

>> Supporting the antique and not the modern is just bad design.
>
>++
>
>>  (How long has the Mod 5 been around?)
>
>Only 4 decades

-- gil