(Sorry, I couldn't keep doing that to Paul, so I changed the subject)

>Newer IBM macros rely on some newer (for
>various values of newer) assembler functions.

But I'd guess that not one of them relies on a function that is a
diagnostic function. Yes, macros for a z/OS release might indeed rely on
the HLASM that accompanies that release.

Most of the cases that I think we are talking about are diagnostic
functions that can be turned on and off (such as by ACONTROL). The
existence of "old" macros is one reason why the assembler team tends to
make options of these not "all or nothing" but rather enable-able and
disable-able. It is certainly very reasonable to enable a function for
"your code", disable it for some macro, then re-enable it.

The SETRP example is one where SETRP was of course doing this long before
HLASM created its option.
For what it's worth, IHASDWA was enhanced in z/OS 1.11 with a GR32=NO|YES
option so that if you must use the HLASM optional function, you can do so.

As to coding your own expansions: feel free. But don't expect any sympathy
or support (since doing so is not supported). You'd better get it right.
Fortunately z/OS is not windoze so you can pretty much rely on the object
code from your hand-coded source continuing to work from release to
release (a migration action for a release should accompany a necessary
change.)

Peter Relson
z/OS Core Technology Design