On Mon, 4 Mar 2013 11:08:08 -0600, Jonathan Goossen wrote:

>I did some research a while back to familiarize myself with the
>technology. There are two types of flash memory. Static and dynamic.
>Static has a limited number of writes, but can retain the data for years
>without power. Dynamic has a ware limit more like hard disks, but requires
>power for the cells to hold the data.

Is this yet different from a non-flash DRAM that requires a refresh cycle
every (few) milliseconds?  And from SRAM which requires no refresh,
but more power, and typically has smaller capacity?

As capacities increase, I'd expect increasing overhead for DRAM refresh.
This might be offset by any (which?) of:

o faster access times?

o longer retention in the capacitive storage?

o on-chip refresh logic?

-- gil