Ron,

Thanks...
Between the Red Book and your reply helped me out.
Ed

On Mar 9, 2013, at 6:40 PM, Ron Hawkins wrote:

Ed,

While it does not directly answer your question, we have a bunch of Flash
Drives (SSD Drives) installed for about two years now that we use for
performance testing.

We don't use them every day, but when we do use them we beat the begeezus out of them with both reads and writes. Our Open system brothers at HDS have being doing it for even longer than us, and usually hit them with IO beaters
much harder than we do.

To the best of my knowledge the Flash Drives have been more reliable than HDD, and there's been no sudden flurry of failures after two or three years
of some spurious heavy duty write activity.

Ron

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU]
On Behalf Of Ed Gould
Sent: Tuesday, March 05, 2013 1:36 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: [IBM-MAIN] Flash Cards on MVS

I got one civil reply offline. The uncivil one from eastern Europe is not
worth
the courtesy of a reply.

I will attempt to rephrase the question(s) below.
I have a customer that is looking at the most current IBM system.
I do not have contact with anyone that has the most current IBM system, so
am asking the group nicely, several questions.
These are more operations (IMO) issues questions and figured the group
would have the knowledge to reply.
I did google and really didn't come up with any answers pertaining to
IBM's
MF implementation of Flash cards.

Has anyone have experience with implementing IBM's (NOT STK or OEM)
flash cards.

What is the typical longevity of IBM's Flash cards and do you keep a few
around just in case or ?

IF/when they reach their end of life do you toss them return them to IBM
etc... (how many spares do you keep on hand) How does your company
handle replacements ie operations (or another
group) handles the insertion and taking out of "old" cards.

IOW operations side of the of the handling.

Thanks in advance for any information.

--------------------------------------------------------------------- - For IBM-MAIN subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions, send email