From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of
Charles Mills
Sent: Thursday, January 28, 2021 12:04 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: REXX Compiler

@Gil: yes. 100% support for every standard Rexx feature, plus support for
%INCLUDE, which is really useful for breaking up a huge program.

I have a lot of experience with the Rexx compiler. I can affirm 100% of what
@Mark, @Lionel and @Peter write. Your Rexx code will almost certainly run
faster, but not an order of magnitude faster. If you are computing prime
numbers in Rexx it will probably be a lot faster; if you are reading a big
sequential file then probably not much faster.

Yes, your original source code is embedded in the load module, so the compiler
is zero help if your goal is to "hide" your proprietary logic. It is not in the
neatest format, but any 8th grade computer student could readily extract it in
readable form. It has to be there -- there is no getting around it -- because
of the execution model and to support things like SOURCELINE.

Be aware, and this is an important point: the distribution and licensing model
is different from any other language:

- If I write, compile and bind a COBOL program, then it will either run or not
run on any given system. Nowadays every system has LE, so basically it will run
on any system, with no licensing charges or considerations for the customer or
user.

- OTOH if I write, compile and bind a Rexx program, then how it runs on a given
target system varies:

  - If the target system provides the Rexx compiler library then the program
will run at full compiled speed. This library is a priced option.
  - If the target system provides the Rexx "alternate library" then the program
will run at standard Rexx interpreted speed. The customer has to install this
library, but it is "free." IBM even permits you to provide it to your customers
yourself.
  - If neither of the above then the program will fail.

Charles