I see that it also handles AWS :-)

--
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
http://mason.gmu.edu/~smetz3

From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] on behalf of
Robert Prins [rob...@prino.org]
Sent: Saturday, January 30, 2021 2:29 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Inspecting and extracting from /OS transportable files on other
platforms?

On 2021-01-29 16:44, Seymour J Metz wrote:
> XMIT is not supported on all platforms. Other formats, e.g., tar, zip, are
> nigh near universal.

The XMIT format is with a high degree of certainty supported on every platform
that has Java:

<https://secure-web.cisco.com/16WWy-0-gt4g_mjKyEwhkIqGWo9KaNdMHHzjweR84JmITS-fJxoXOObrPIArwZ2644pdB_Y9vXCauJNEn0ayoMpSzb1SXbWOvaRPf6EEG-rUxuhfYsgFKGACLjVbP5KPK3XEx8pfb9YA0ZPGF6fiTej2kd0u-r1oag9h7P9XfXSSYeKUpwTXBjyJODnZb26uFG2_w36oXH8X5tz93VSSTll3E7hfG8mhyGMxzoF5Z0OhvNpIILKJUlMjhzwTaU1YEfL3TikZ41D9fP_fsDxcbv8QADWHLlU5exeOeonYeSNANBg5NKRZCRaJBScYiXnXC9tJaUn5o2S8jsVrZF7odf4Vp3an1Bk9n2_MJH3XLC42z7hlYzjCyFr_fqt13b-of5Po7iBLpJgcB_sz0-RUOiieDMjjrBuxKyL07LlppXN7WgqEpwZTa52kqr4Rb9hRka1k7rfM7fIqFtkDsnJjMyQ/https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fdmolony%2FXmit>,
 and I'm sure the C version on the CBTTape
site (File # 776) will compile on any system, although that program can only
handle PDS'es.

> FTP of a PDS won't preserve all of the data. Does Info-Zip include all of
> the  directory information? Also, FTP raises the issues of binary data and
> code pages.

Not just FTP. IND$FILE and the WSA have the same problems.

Robert
--
Robert AH Prins
robert(a)prino(d)org