On Thu, 28 Jan 2021 at 17:32, Gibney, Dave <gib...@wsu.edu> wrote:

>    In preparation for shutting down my z/OS 2.3 system, sometime this year, I
> am looking at options for unloading/storing both my z/OS files as well as my
> application data and infrastructure files.

Another approach to the many mentioned is to use the CCKDDUMP utility
(CBT file 541 and other places) that runs on z/OS and creates a
Hercules format CCKD file that represents an entire z/OS disk volume.
Or you can select what gets dumped by wildcarded DSNs and still get a
complete volume image containing tracks from just those datasets. Or
if you're in a position to do so, you could create (or reuse) an
entire volume, copy all your data to it, and CCKDDUMP that.

What to do with this dump, then? Well you can use it with the Hercules
emulator, or possibly (with conversion) on some others such as a P390
or a zPDT.

Of course I'm not suggesting you should unload z/OS itself, but in
general the old MVS 3.8 (with hobbyist community updates) can mount
fairly modern volumes. There's no PDSE support, unfortunately, and
VSAM is back level, but most else should be fine.

Like the "run a DFDSS dump of all your datasets", this is a "collect
it all" approach. It may be less easy to use, but you'll know you have
all your stuff, and can always find someone to mount the volume and
restore something you may forget if you do it piece by piece.

Tony H.