On Tue, 2 Mar 2021 16:35:46 +0000, Seymour J Metz wrote:

>For best performance, NCP should match the number of DECBs you allocate and
>you should do a READ on each of them. If real storage is an issue, reduce that
>number appropriately. When you hit EOF (EODAD is entered), stop issuing READ.

(Decades old experience:)

Of course, if the programmer is coding for overlapped I/O, the
access method may be unable to detect EOF before the program
has issued several more READs.

MVS BSAM somehow handles this correctly: READs beyond EOF
just don't happen.

CMS/XA OS emulation was terrible.  READs were synchronous:
control did not return to the caller until channel/device end and
DECB was posted.  Additional READs intended to be asynchronous
read garbage data or got I/O errors.

I used the same code on both OSes.

-- gil