I have a Rexx program (bigger than a "script") that is going to call a
module whose name will come from a customer-specified parameter file.

As I have it coded now the Rexx first calls a little assembler stub that I
happened to already have that issues an MVS LOAD.

I then use Rexx ADDRESS LINKPGM to call the module. LINKPGM makes the LOAD
technically redundant, but I like the explicit LOAD because the return codes
from my assembler LOAD are waaaaay better than the return code from LINKPGM,
For example:

Error loading XXXXXXXX: ABEND Code S806 Reason Code 4
versus
+++ RC(-3) +++

My reading of Assembler Services indicates that there is little additional
overhead in doing things this way, that is. with an explicit LOAD followed
by a LINKPGM: "A module is considered usable for ATTACH, LINK, or XCTL if it
has not been marked NOT REUSABLE by a previous ATTACH, LINK, or XCTL."
(FWIW, the loaded module might or might not be RENT/REUS/authorized etc.)

Would the august sages of IBMMAIN agree that this is not a bad way to do
things; that there is little additional overhead in using LOAD + LINKPGM (+
DELETE) as opposed to just LINKPGM?

Thanks,
Charles