> Do you DELETE it when you're finished?

Ah, but of course! (And I think I did say "+ DELETE" in the OP.)

> If the module expects OS CALL linkage conventions, use LINKMVS rather than
> LINKPGM

FSVO OS CALL Linkage conventions. LINKMVS puts halfword lengths on ALL
parameters. That is the convention for EXEC PARM= and for compiler and utility
DD overrides, but it is not the general call convention that I know (not what
is shown in the example in Assembler Services Guide under "Passing Control with
Return"). COBOL (the language of my called program) for example does not in
general expect halfword length prefixes (although one could probably code for
them) in the Linkage Section. In any event, LINKPGM was a studied choice, not
something that grew out of wanting to reinvent the wheel.

Charles