Hi Marna, I will respond in a different order.

As for staying "current", yes, that would be a good idea, unfortunately, it's
unrealistic to decide it has to be that way.  I would imagine a very large
number of sites are still running 2.1 and 2.2, in fact, I know that to be true.

Next, using CICS, DBV2 or IMS serverpac as a sample/example.  There are a great
many sites who do not have CICS or DB2 or IMS, I can name 30 just off the top
of my head.  How will they "practice"?  How will they "learn the process now?"
Are you penalizing them because they use Adabas or Oracle instead of DB/2 or
IMS?  You don't even have to answer because the only correct response is in the
affirmative.

Cost of two manufacturing processes?  Do you know how long Serverpac and CBIPO
co-existed?  It was a lot longer than 6 months.  Is the cost for IBM to
manufacture, somehow higher than the cost of the client to install?  In fact,
who cares?  Part of the cost of doing business is making life easier for the
client.  I don't remember IBM so blatantly applying unnecessary force to the
client base like this.

You are also assuming that systems programmers have the time to throw away to
do a "test" installation in those first several months.  It's patently
ludicrous to expect the client base to "jump" on the upgrade in the first 6
months or completely lose the ability to install it later via a method that
they are familiar with.

Having said all of this, I am not disagreeing that there are advantages to the
new way.  I have installed CICS and DB/2 several times at several sites int he
past few months alone, and have used both methods and can compare them.  But no
one asked me for my opinion on whether one was better than the other or if I
thought people (who have not experience or very little with z/OSMF) will be
able to handle the new way.

I still think it's extremely short-sighted and even belligerent of IBM to make
this type of decision without what seems like any thought at all for the
customer(s).

The installation methodology isn't supposed to be a challenge for sites in the
middle of a release.  The proper way to do this would be to make 2.5 Serverpac
or z/OSMF, and at 2.5+x change to z/OSMF only.  Splitting the method int he
middle fo a release is just plain silly, and unnecessarily complex for the
customer.  The least you could have done was have a 2.5.1 that was the split.

I can imagine asking a client, "well, you want to move to 2.5.  Did you order
the Serverpac or the z/OSMF version, and oh, by the way, did you install z/OSMF
yet?"

Has it occurred to IBM that a significant number of sites still don't have
z/OSMF running (successfully)?

I actually think you are serious that if they are running 2.2 that they should
order 2.4 before it goes away.  That's not really going to help them if they
don't migrate until 2.7.  If they have not moved to 2.4 by now, changing the
installation method isn't going to make them jump up and order 2.4 and move to
it really fast so that they can maybe go to 2.5.  Sites don't operate like
that.  If they only migrate once every 8 years, why would they bother ordering
2.3, and 2.4 and 2.5, when they won't migrate until 2.6 or 2.7?

You probably seriously think they will consider going to the interim releases.
Which is the reason they only install once every 8 years now.  IBM making it
even more difficult is just going to exacerbate the problem.  Sites are not
going to migrate until they are good and ready.  Actually, many of them have
quite good reasons for not migrating very often.  The best thing for IBM to do
is pay attention to the why's of it, not ignore it.

I do believe that the purpose of moving to z/OSMF based installation is to make
it "easier" for the newbies, but taking something that's already pretty easy
and making it "easier" is a waste of money and time.  z/OSMF is just the latest
iteration of IBM's attempt to replace the Systems Programmer with a "lesser
being" :)  Instead of providing a way to train people to understand how to do
"systems programmer things", homogenizing the process to make it "seem" easier
is not the way to go.   I have a silly analogy-type question, that strangely
enough fits this.  Would you allow or condone a 5 year old operating an
automatically operated "self-drive" vehicle?

Sorry for the soap box-ing, but really, what were you guys thinking when you
decided to switch the imple