On Sat, 20 Mar 2021 04:54:34 +0000, Farley, Peter x23353 wrote:

>In reverse order of your questions:

Why not write each answer after the matching question as was
once the custom?  It's easier to read that way.

>Sorry, I am not free to discuss the actual application details.
>
>And I did not get that from Peter R.'s statement -- quite the contrary in
>fact.  With the z/OS generated programmable field LPAR value (whatever it may
>be), the STCKE result is in fact guaranteed unique in a sysplex.

Peter R. carefully made no assertion of concerning the format of
the programmable field, nor that  uniqueness is guaranteed when
bits 0-7 (byte 14 stored by STCKE) are ignored.

>Considering that byte 0 of the STCKE result is the epoch index and thus is
>zero until 2042 and that byte 1 (byte 0 of the TOD clock) changes in far more
>than one 24 hour period, bytes 2-10 or 11 of the STCKE result combined with
>byte 15 can comprise quite a reasonably unique value when results only have to
>be unique for the day.  Not guaranteed perhaps, but "good enough".

That "unique for the day" is "good enough" depends on your application details.

What about bytes 12-13.  PoOps "Figure 4-12. Format of the TOD Clock, ..."
leads me to conclude that all of Epoch Index, 104-bit TOD Clock, and
Programmable Field must be considered to guarantee uniqueness.

>I ran 100 billion loops returning a value constructed from the STCKE result
>and got no duplicate values.  Admittedly this was done with a COBOL driver and
>a dynamically loaded STCKE subroutine, so it's probable the result location
>was not in the same cache line as the STCKE, so not as stressful a test as one
>could possibly construct, but definitely more stressful than the environment
>in which the real world application lives, so I'm good with that.

And what about the next OS release and the next hardware model?

I'll suggest taking all 16 bytes stored by STCKE, converting to a 32-byte
hex string, and using that as a UUID.

-- gil