Thanks Charles, I did already think of that, and it has performance
disadvantages that I can't ignore.

Peter

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of
Charles Mills
Sent: Friday, March 19, 2021 4:47 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Contents of TOD Programmable Field under z/OS?

@Peter do you mean alphanumeric (A-Z, 0-9) or do you mean "any bit combination
00 to FF"? I read it as "any bits" but you did say alphanumeric.

If you mean alphanumeric then you need a table of the 36 or 62 or whatever
characters comprise your set. Then take my method, generate a number 0 to 35 or
61, and use it to index into the table, and store that in each character
position.

Alphanumeric guaranteed.

Charles