-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of
Farley, Peter x23353
Sent: Tuesday, March 30, 2021 10:51

I have the following situation which causes me to get an "out of sequence"
error for a merge operation.

Three input files, all RECFM=VB, all the same LRECL and BLKSIZE.  Files 2
and 3 are frequently (but NOT always) empty except for header and trailer
records.  I believe that the DATA records in all files are in the correct
merge key sequence within each file, but my merge key specification could be
in error.

The SYSIN uses an OMIT to remove all header and trailer records from the
merge operation, so when files 2 and 3 are processed they often contribute
no actual data records to the merge process.

I get Syncsort messages like this complaining about "out of sequence":

WER055I  INSERT          0, DELETE          1
WER068A  OUT OF SEQ SORTIN02 , BLOCK 56,917

If I could ask Syncsort to tell me exactly what two merge keys are "out of
sequence" I could pinpoint the record location of the condition and repair
any merge key error I may have.

Is there a way to ask Syncsort to tell me the exact keys that it thinks are
out of sequence?

If it matters, Syncsort version is reported as "SYNCSORT FOR Z/OS
2.1.6.0N".