From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of
Massimo Biancucci
Sent: Wednesday, March 31, 2021 12:58 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Syncsort merge question - How to report exact keys out of sequence?

Peter,

I don't know if you need a "general" solution or a way to diagnose the specific
problem.

WER068A tells you that the out of sequence record is on SORTIN02 (first
tip) and specifically on block 56,917 (second tip).
Depending on the block size of your file you could "point to the block" and
then on the group of records and have a closer look.
Given the SORTIN02 you could copy the dataset to a RECFM=F (or V) but not
BLOCKED temporary dataset in order to have exactly the offending record
(BLOCK#=REC#).
It's not so efficient, anyway we're talking about diagnosing a problem.

Hope this helps.
Best regards.
Max

<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail__;!!Ebr-cpPeAnfNniQ8HSAI-g_K5b7VKg!Y1vQ4JYSV3Nws8tiIButlbrfAd_FvFEbbpYJ1WnAjV9nA5wKZwAeLsUAkfIuyqSK-IHjAw$
https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.avast.com__;!!Ebr-cpPeAnfNniQ8HSAI-g_K5b7VKg!Y1vQ4JYSV3Nws8tiIButlbrfAd_FvFEbbpYJ1WnAjV9nA5wKZwAeLsUAkfIuyqTcoLEWFA$
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail__;!!Ebr-cpPeAnfNniQ8HSAI-g_K5b7VKg!Y1vQ4JYSV3Nws8tiIButlbrfAd_FvFEbbpYJ1WnAjV9nA5wKZwAeLsUAkfIuyqSK-IHjAw$
 > <#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

Il giorno mar 30 mar 2021 alle ore 16:51 Farley, Peter x23353 <
0000031df298a9da-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu> ha scritto:

> I have the following situation which causes me to get an "out of sequence"
> error for a merge operation.
>
> Three input files, all RECFM=VB, all the same LRECL and BLKSIZE.
> Files 2 and 3 are frequently (but NOT always) empty except for header
> and trailer records.  I believe that the DATA records in all files are
> in the correct merge key sequence within each file, but my merge key
> specification could be in error.
>
> The SYSIN uses an OMIT to remove all header and trailer records from
> the merge operation, so when files 2 and 3 are processed they often
> contribute no actual data records to the merge process.
>
> I get Syncsort messages like this complaining about "out of sequence":
>
> WER055I  INSERT          0, DELETE          1
> WER068A  OUT OF SEQ SORTIN02 , BLOCK 56,917
>
> If I could ask Syncsort to tell me exactly what two merge keys are
> "out of sequence" I could pinpoint the record location of the
> condition and repair any merge key error I may have.
>
> Is there a way to ask Syncsort to tell me the exact keys that it
> thinks are out of sequence?
>
> If it matters, Syncsort version is reported as "SYNCSORT FOR Z/OS
> 2.1.6.0N".
>
> Peter

attachments from your system.