W dniu 24.04.2021 o 23:46, Paul Gilmartin pisze:
On Sat, 24 Apr 2021 21:25:49 +0200, Radoslaw Skorupka wrote:

Before APPLY - take care about SMPPTS1 DDDEFs in other zones.

Is it useful, or even safe, to define SMPPTS* in other than GLOBAL zone?

It is necessary.

Does SMP/E warn or prohibit inconsistent SMPPTS* definitions among
zones?

Yes. BTDT.
(I can't check it now for obvious reasons)

(I remember Ed Gould claimed it was safer to supply DD in JCL than
in DDDEFs.)

In the Ref.  I read:
     It is recommended that SMPPTS be allocated as a PDSE (DSNTYPE=LIBRARY).

     If you plan to run concurrent jobs, specify DISP=SHR instead of DISP=OLD.

Does concurrent, DISP=SHR, DSNTYPE=PDS work?  How does SMP/E serialize?
Like ISPF member serialization?  Other (specify)?

To be honest I never worked concurrently on same SMP/E environment, and some attempts ended with serialization conflict on CSI VSAM datasets, AFAIR.

Advantages of PDSE as PTS: it can be really big. As big as your volume. IMHO better than bunch of PTSn. And typical: no need for compression.

Disadvantages of PDSE:
1. Cross-sysplex sharing issues. Very risky, but feasible (for SMP/E works). 2. Member size limitation. Yes! PDSE has limit for max. size of member. And I had this problem with "small" PTF (few gigabytes, but less than 64k TRK) for WAS. However PDSE v.2 has the limit increased enough.

--
Radoslaw Skorupka
(looking for new job)