From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] on behalf of
Joel C. Ewing [jce.ebe...@cox.net]
Sent: Sunday, May 16, 2021 10:06 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: XMITIP - NLS support for Arabic character

Terminology Clarification:   UTF-8 is of course just one representation
of the Unicode codeset, not the codeset itself.  UTF-8 has the advantage
that characters in standard ASCII charset have identical byte
representation in UTF-8, which makes possible some use of UTF-8 even in
email headers.

I don't know whether CSSMTP employs EBCDIC to ASCII conversion for
everything or has the smarts to restrict that conversion to headers and
ordinary text.  If for everything, then obviously the only way to send
UTF-8 via XMITIP, JES and CSSMTP would be for XMITIP to put it in the
email body as a base-64 encoded segment.

The most complete solution for full-function email from z/OS a decade
ago was to pass the email directly to an SMTP server on a Unix or
Windows platform. That may still be true.

    JC Ewing

Joel C. Ewing