-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of
Jesse 1 Robinson
Sent: Friday, May 21, 2021 13:55

As if this topic were not tangled enough, it's complicated by U.S. dialect
differences.

ROOT In some locales, this word rhymes with 'boot', in others it rhymes with
'foot'. Many people can use both pronunciations interchangeably.

ROUT This word in all dialects rhymes with 'scout'. Little effect on IT.

ROUTE This word is most problematic, mainly because it's borrowed from French.
I'm among those who favor pronouncing borrowed words with a nod to the
original. However, saying it like 'boot' in our biz is awkward because most
people say it like 'scout'. It's a little weird sitting in a group where
everyone else is saying it a differently from you. So I often slip into the
'scout' faction even though it stings my tongue. As for 'Route 66', I think the
influence of the TV theme song puts everyone in the 'boot' camp.