... busy looking up "nowt" :)

Tom (USA)

On 5/21/2021 2:17 PM, Rupert Reynolds wrote:
Being English by birth, I remember working in Holland, and meeting someone
with the nickname "Suzie Did It On The Roof" (I didn't ask what she did on
that roof :-) ). The short "oo" as in "woof" caught me by surprise. Every
day is a school day, etc.

But the UK/US one that gets me every time  is "router". Here in England,
that's two words in one. A network router rhymes with fruit, boot, moot and
toot. With a woodworker's router, the "ou" is like gout, nowt, clout and
spout.

"Two nations divided by a common language?" I say no. But I borrow American
words and phrases. Everyone does--is it time to call it "American" and be
obviously proud of it?"

Roops

On Fri., May 21, 2021, 21:16 Paul Gilmartin, <