John McKown wrote:

>What I do is use REXX. A UNIX REXX shell script is rather easy:

Agreed. REXX can do things an achieve results in one single command line. Use
the pipe thing to send and receive keywords/parms to different commands.

>/* rexx */
>today=date('b') /* today's date in base form */
>yesterday = today - 1
>say date('s',yesterday,'b') /* yesterday in yyyymmdd form */

Will above takes Leap Year in account? I have a version of that example, but
must receive Julian dates from a product and gives Julian date back, taking
Leap Year in account.

For example, if today is 2012/03/01, it must accept it as 12061 and gives back
12060 for 2012/02/29.
And 2013/03/01 must be accepted as 13060 and gives back 13059 as yesterday.

Just something for you to think about...

Groete / Greetings
Elardus Engelbrecht