From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of
Colin Paice
Sent: Tuesday, June 1, 2021 6:01 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: IBM Zcloud - is it just outsourcing ?

[CAUTION: This Email is from outside the Organization. Unless you trust the
sender, Don’t click links or open attachments as it may be a Phishing email,
which can steal your Information and compromise your Computer.]

I remember a customer talk on something like "are your systems Pets or Cows?"
If they are pets,they have names, and if they are ill - you
nurtured them.   If they are just cows, they have a number, not a name, if
they are ill you shoot them.
The customer then said they moved their systems from pets to cows.  They create
a new system on a sysres for all service on all products.  Add it to the
sysplex.  Take down the oldest system and shoot it, This way they could do
rapid deploy.

I looked at z/OSMF deploy for quickly deploying a new MQ queue manager on
z/OS.    Good in theory, but you would not create an MQ very often.   The
z/OSMF deploy made the easy bits easier (creating datasets) - and left the hard
bits to the end user (setting up RACF profiles, setting up SMS profiles, doing
backups of key resources, setting up monitoring of security violations,
integrating it with everything else.) I think setting up CICS through z/OSMF
was better.

Instead of calling things cloud it would be good if people called it

   1. "where do you want to run your stuff"
   2. "How quickly do you want to deploy it".  Or the Deploy Wedge.  Do you
   want it to be fast - and no support - (the small end of the wedge) or do
   you want all the bells, whistles,monitoring and backups  - the fat end of
   the wedge.

Colin

On Tue, 1 Jun 2021 at 11:37, Keith Gooding <
0000034af3894af4-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu> wrote:

> One of my reasons for asking about zCloud here was that I have been
> asked (at second- or third-hand) whether an ISV product is “supported”
> on zCloud, so there is clearly a case to answer. At first sight, if
> zCloud just means transferring LPARs to an IBM-owned machine, the
> answer would be ‘yes’. But there may be reasons why it would not be
> ‘supported’ - e.g. for licensing reasons, because IBM do not have the
> expertise to manage it, because IBM prefer to replace it with one of their
> owns products, etc.
>
> Another reason is that I found a reference to “zcloud environments” in
> IMS
> v13 documentation in regards to what is now called “cloud
> provisioning” ie using z/OSMF and possibly Z Cloud Broker) to create
> and manage middleware environments “on demand” using templates etc
> provided by the middleware developers. I now think that this use of
> the term “zcloud” here (or terms such as “Z cloud”, Z/cloud” etc
> rather than “zCloud” ) may refer generically to cloud services on Z
> rather than the “Managed Extended Cloud Infrastructure as a Service(IaaS) for
> IBM Z (zCloud)” offering.
>
> There is still a nagging doubt that some ISV products may be required
> to “play nicely” on zCloud, especially in environments where instead
> of transferring an LPAR to zCloud a new z/OS system is created just
> for development purposes so that modern development tools can be used.
> In that case there could be a requirement for middleware to co-operate
> in the automatic provisioning of test environments.
>
> At the risk of being contacted by an IBM salesperson I have attempted
> to get in touch with a “zCloud” person for information.
>
> Keith Gooding
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> > On 29 May 2021, at 15:13, Colin Paice <colinpai...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I remember about 20+ years ago there was "dial a vm" from IBM for
> > customers.  By the time you had phoned up, given your credit card
> > details it had created a second level system for you to play with.
> >
> > "We did it first on z"
> >
> > Colin
> >
> >> On Sat, 29 May 2021 at 12:45, Scott Chapman <
> scott.chap...@epstrategies.com>
> >> wrote:
> >>
> >> I think one important distinction of cloud vs. outsourcing is the
> >> ephemeral nature of the resources in cloud computing. I.E. the
> >> ability
> >> start from zero, provision compute and storage resources of some
> >> type (either manually or automatically in response to changing
> >> conditions)
> and
> >> then deprovision them similarly after using the resources for
> >> perhaps
> mere
> >> minutes or hours. The cost is determined by what you used for the
> duration
> >> you used it, typically billed to an interval of minutes or
> >> sometimes
> [...]

::DISCLAIMER::
________________________________
The contents of this e-mail and any attachment(s) are confidential and intended
for the named recipient(s) only. E-mail transmission is not guaranteed to be
destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or may contain viruses in transmission.
The e mail and its contents (with or without referred errors) shall therefore
not attach any liability on the originator or HCL or its affiliates. Views or
opinions, if any, presented in this email are solely those of the author and
may not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of HCL or its affiliates. Any
form of reproduction, dissemination, copying, disclosure, modification,
distribution and / or publication of this message without the prior written
consent of authorized representative of HCL is strictly prohibited. If you have
immediately. Before opening any email and/or attachments, please check them for
viruses and other defects.