Todd Arnold wrote:
IBM had three channel-attached crypto units for the mainframes.

>1977 - IBM 3845 DES encryption unit

>1979 - IBM 3848 DES encryption unit - faster than the 3845, and added
>Triple-DES
>   (yes, IBM already had Triple-DES in its products in 1979!)

>1989 - IBM Transaction Security System (TSS) which included the 4753.  The
>4753 was the first product to offer the CCA architecture, and it is the
>ancestor of all of the other crypto processors such as the Crypto Express
>cards.

Way cool. Just asking: what was this in response to? You didn't quote anything,
so it's not clear.

Anyone of you packrats have any of these books lying around?
G321-5068      CRYPTOGRAPHY ARCHITECTURE FOR INFORMATION SECURITY (13pp,
journal reprint, no date)
GA21-2865     IBM 3845 DATA ENCRYPTION DEVICE, IBM 3846 DATA ENCRYPTION DEVICE,
GENERAL INFORMATION (44pp, 10/1977)
GA21-2866     IBM 3845 DATA ENCRYPTION DEVICE, PRINCIPLES OF OPERATION (can't
find date or page count; seems to have gotten to at least a -2)
GA21-2899     IBM 3846 DATA ENCRYPTION DEVICE, PRINCIPLES OF INFORMATION (can't
find date or page count)
GC28-0942     IBM 3848 OS/VS1 AND OS/VS2 MVS CRYPTOGRAPHIC UNIT PRODUCT
DESCRIPTION, GENERAL INFORMATION (48pp, 10/1977; seems to have gotten up to at
least a -3, July 1983)
GC22-9062     DATA SECURITY THROUGH CRYPTOGRAPHY (40pp, 10/1977)
GC22-9063     IBM CRYPTOGRAPHIC SUBSYSTEM CONCEPTS AND FACILITIES (48pp,
10/1977)

This is just a curiosity thing, no real value. I'm guessing these won't work on
a zEC12 anyway :)
--
...phsiii

Phil Smith III