On Tue, 15 Jun 2021 18:06:53 -0400, Bob Bridges wrote:
>3)     ...  I include checks for file-not-found,

Of course.

> empty datasets, .

Rather, I consider that a routine boundary condition, to be
handled by extrapolation.

For example, Linkage Editor accepted empty SYSLIN, did nothing,
and exited with RC=0.  Some of my scripts depended on that
orderly beehavior.

Binder, given empty SYSLIN attempts to create an invalid program
object and terminates with severe error status.  I needed to add
code to those scripts to bypass the link edit step when SYSLIN is
empty.  I don't consider the performance gain worth even the
minimal added complexity.

I once dealt with a (bubble) sort routine coded by a co-worker
that program checked on single-record input.  A check for
that should be the responsibility of the function, not the caller.
Usually no such explicit check is necessary if loop termination
condition is chosen correctly.

-- gil