On Thu, 22 Jul 2021 14:05:31 -0600, Grant Taylor wrote:

>On 7/22/21 12:49 PM, Mike Hochee wrote:
>There is also a hybrid approach in which a symmetric key is used to
>encrypt / decrypt the data and asymmetric keys to protect the first key.
>  --  My understanding is that symmetric encryption is multiple orders
>of magnitude faster than asymmetric encryption.

This is routinely, almost  universally, done for asymmetric encryption.
It lacks authentication and does not prevent MITM attacks:

o An intruder can masquerade as the sender and supply forged data.

o An intruder can masquerade as the recipient and intercept sensitive data.

o Or both, if you're lucky.

I believe (I'm mostly guessing) that a Certificate Authority provides
authentication in a repository of public keys but, "Quis custodiet ipsos
custodes?"  Computers come with a table of recognized CAs and their
public keys embedded in the OS.  This amounts to making the computer
vendors the ultimate Certificate authorities.

https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~rdriley/487/papers/Thompson_1984_ReflectionsonTrustingTrust.pdf

Or, the CAs could announce their public keys on NewsMax or Twitter.

>1)  Create an asymmetric public + private key pair on the destination
>system.
>2)  Transfer the destination system's public key to the source system.
>3)  Create a symmetric key on the source system.
>4)  Use the source system's symmetric key to encrypt the data.
>5)  Use the destination system's asymmetric public key to encrypt the
>source system's symmetric key.
>6)  Transfer both the encrypted data and the encrypted symmetric key
>from the source system to the destination system.
>7)  Use the destination system's asymmetric private key to decrypt the
>source system's symmetric key.
>8)  Use the decrypted source system's symmetric key to decrypt the data.
>n)  PROFIT!!!
>
>The data and the symmetric key protecting it are only unencrypted on the
>source and destination system.

-- gil