From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] on behalf of
Peter Relson [rel...@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 26, 2021 10:09 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: RENT binder option

>LPA load modules are or should always be marked RF (REFR).

LPA modules are considered refreshable. There is no reason to mark them
so, but it will do no harm if you do.

<snip>
IIRC The page(s) of an LMOD marked REFR can be stolen without having
first to back it up to cache, because it can be REFReshed from cache (or
DASD) and continue to execute as if its page(s) had not been stolen -
e.g. in the PLPA. If it modified itself, it would hit a S0C4-4. AFAIK A
backup/swap-out would be needed if it was marked RENT but not REFR.
</snip>

The description related to REFR is theoretically true but z/OS (and its
predecessors) implemented this type of processing only for PLPA (maybe
MLPA too).

Peter Relson
z/OS Core Technology Design