From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] on behalf of
Paul Gilmartin [0000000433f07816-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, September 15, 2021 4:25 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: SYSOUT FORMS question

On Wed, 15 Sep 2021 18:44:19 +0000, Frank Swarbrick wrote:

>It's been quite a few years since we had mainframe attached printers, and I'm
>trying to recall what the FORMS SYSOUT parameter is used for.  I...

IIRC, long ago we had an MVS guest directing SYSOUTs to a
virtual printer.  But all SYSOUTs from any single job would appear
inconveniently in a single VM spool file.  I could circumvent that
by specifying a different FORMS on each SYSOUT data set.
The value of the FORMS option seemed irrelevant.

I wanted separate spool files so each data set printed would
begin on the front of a leaf.  Otherwise it was likely to start
on the verso side of thee previous data set.  Evidently the CCW
that started a new leaf was not reflected in the VM spool.

BTW, is there any defined mapping from CHARS to CCSID?
Or a way to access the CCSID option on the DD statement
from SDSF?

-- gil