On Fri, 17 Sep 2021 16:21:25 -0400, Steve Thompson wrote:

>EXECIO is not supported the same between z/os and CMS. This is a pain.

Yes.  What are your specifics.  Mine include:

o Lack of the VAR and, especially STRING, options, requiring extra code.
  Is that an accommodation to syntactic limitations of the CLIST/TSO parser?

o Requirement for the OPEN option in some cases.  I suspect this is a
  feckless accommodation to a customer who complained that
  EXECIO 0 DISKW fileid (FINIS created an empty file on TSO but not
  on CMS.  That's merely the behavior of the underlying file system.

o Lack of the PRINT, PUNCH, etc. forms.  That's a difference in the
  Data Management conventions of the supporting OS.

o Difference in the fileid syntax.  As in the previous bullet.  I've easily
  dealt with that by dual-path.

The page at <http://planetmvs.com/rexxanywhere/> lauds Rexx portability.
I see it as an argument for the other side.

-- gil