From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] on behalf of
Paul Gilmartin [0000000433f07816-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu]
Sent: Monday, September 20, 2021 10:48 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: The Business Case for Pipes in the z/OS Base (was: Re: REXX -
Interpret or Value - Which is better?)

On Mon, 20 Sep 2021 14:20:04 +0000, Seymour J Metz wrote:

>If portability is an issue then we need ANSI stream I/O in all REXX
>environments. If we had that we wouldn't need EXECIO for new code.

It's ironic.  The z/OS Rexx interpreter supports ANSI stream, but only under
OMVS.
I wonder whether the API could start Rexx with the needed function package in
other
environments.  And only for UNIX files, not Classic.

The z/OS Rexx compiler appears to support Stream I/O, but not for UNIX files.

Conway's Law.  An  OMVS developer pleaded for directing message and TRACE
output to stderr (the Regina default) rather than stdout.  The Rexx designers
rebuffed that.  Even though the Rexx programming interface provides distinct
calls for those functions.

I've been RTFM.  It appears that the "other side" of DDNAME is SUBSYS=PIPE.
Would that work even in a single job step, with use of alternate DDNAMES as
necessary?

And concurrency.  ADDRESS ATTCHMVS is a deception.  It always WAITs for
subtask completion rather than allowing it to run in the background. Concurrency
would be enormously difficult in CMS; relatively easy in z/OS.

-- gil