To prevent the command processor from substituting whatever looks like a
variable, code SYSSCAN={0||1|2|3}, then issue the &NRSTR(), then reset
to SYSSCAN=16 (default.) SYSSCAN=n means substitute up to n &s.
SYSSCAN=0 means no & should be substituted.

To debug/trace, code CONTROL LIST SYMLIST CONLIST MSG before the 1st
SYSSCAN and CONTROL NOLIST NOSYMLIST NOCONLIST NOMSG after the 2nd SYSSCAN.

HTH