Yes, an ID they got hold of -- my impression was that it was the original ID --
had read access to the RACF database.  They downloaded it, and posted questions
here and there about how RACF passwords are encrypted.  Within a few days a new
version of John the Ripper appeared, reworked for RACF.  The forensics people
ran that version on an unexceptional PC afterward, as a test, using a
dictionary attack of course, and as I recall they said they got ten or twenty
thousand passwords out of it in the first day or two, which of course gave them
access to IDs on other LPARs as well.

I'm kind of surprised how often I find that a client thinks the admins need
update access to the security database in order to do their job.  Sometimes
they even let me take it away; not always, my dire warnings notwithstanding.

I'm more disturbed at how often a site has a rule giving everyone read access
to SYS2.**, which often includes the security database along with everything
else.  I suppose they set it up that way in the beginning, "just to get things
rolling", and never looked at it again.

About coming in through USS:  When I first wrote up the report on the Logica
hack for my then-employer, my Conclusions section started out with this
confession:

  Overall, what I see is that the hackers got on through a stolen password
(obtained
  no doubt through the usual means).  Then they used OMVS to gain superuser
access,
  UID(0), and go from there.  My jaundiced notions of Unix security, and my
prejudice
  in favor of MVS’, are strengthened by this tale rather than weakened.  The
problem
  with this reaction is that I know nothing of Unix; really I should learn
something
  about it before I conclude anything.

  And after all, since OMVS is a part of MVS, that makes Unix part of my
  responsibility, no?

I know more about OMVS security now, but not nearly enough.

---

/* One of the justifications for democracy is that everyone's interest should
be represented in government.  But....the homeowner who locks his door is
looking out for his own interest just as much as the burglar who picks the
lock, but not exactly in the same way.  The voter who wants to keep his own
money isn't seeking the same thing as the voter who wants the state to give him
someone else's money.  -Joseph Sobran */