Tony,

A LONG time ago and far far away we leaned a couple of lessons about IEBCOPY.
Its a great utility and it must be used with care.
SMPE was a user of IEBCOPY and we greatly speeded it up by passing the parm SIZE=MAX and along with specifying a large size=(8192K,99K) on the linkage editor in SMPE tremendously speeded up processing especially in APPLY. We had serious system uptime issues and would always do a backup of the packs being updated. I think I have had to do a pack(s) restore about 10 times in my sysprog life because the system went down during an APPLY. I repeated told application programmers to do a backup before doing a copy.
I think some actually listened (not many mind you).
We had a group of people that was actually doing DASD Moves and also dataset moves for production. They got burned over the years so they learned to back up before update on anything more that one move. What has been a burr in my rear end over the years that data base's are never marked as unmoveable when talked to they always say well they are moveable if you use their utilities, well duh... I usually loose my temper after about the 4th try in being reasonable. The DB experts do not want to do things like volume movement because the DASD is cheaper thats not our issue. I tried getting the DB people involved a few times and they say not my problem. Then you get their management involved and they give push back about a few weeks or months. Then you toss your management at their mangement and you get a closed door shouting match and no one is happy.
IEBCOPY is a great utility but it has to be handled with TLC.

Ed