From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] on behalf of
Peter Relson [rel...@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Thursday, December 2, 2021 1:59 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Trying to use long parm= in started task

I am surprised at the vitriole regarding
IEFC657I THE SYMBOL xxx WAS NOT USED

Every time I have seen that message it was because the proc creator (me)
screwed up (sometimes in a subtle way).

-- Ignoring that situation does not seem to be in the user's best
interest.
-- Warning about that situation is not either because no one will notice
the warning.
-- Treating it as an error seems to me to be the right action. It has
helped innumerable people over the years.

This is quite different than a compiler, for example, optimizing out
something that proves not to be used.

This could not unconditionally be changed, for compatibility reasons. That
says that an option such as "do not treat as an error" would have to be
provided and used. Make the case that this is a good idea. None of the
posts I read did so.

Sure, one could ask for an option to "ignore" or "treat as warning" but if
you knew enough to include that option, wouldn't you just "fix" the proc
not to have extraneous unneeded stuff to help everyone not get confused?

Asking for improvement in the detection of use of a proc symbol, such as
within the ParmDD SYSIN might be reasonable. It was implemented as it was
because it was practical to do so. And the limitation that exists can be
dealt with. It is not practical to have the system search through the Parm
DD if the Parm DD is not inline so could not be done "in general". What
would you sacrifice our doing in order to accommodate? It is always fair
to ask; but it is also a requirement to understand that there are limited
resources to be parceled out among worthy causes. Maybe one could consider
an option such as "make a JCL symbol from every proc symbol, with some
naming convention" that could make it easier to use the symbols from the
proc in a Parm DD without having to do extra stuff, possibly incorporating
"EXPORT SYMLIST=*" and the option (if needed) so that JCL symbols are
processed within Parm DD (such as the current SYMBOLS=JCLONLY).

What am I missing?

Peter Relson
z/OS Core Technology Design