From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] on behalf of
Paul Gilmartin [0000000433f07816-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu]
Sent: Thursday, December 2, 2021 12:37 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Trying to use long parm= in started task

On Thu, 2 Dec 2021 10:29:00 +0000, Seymour J Metz  wrote:

>I believe that the problem is a combination of an error in your JCL and an
>error in the Converter. &ACTION is a symbolic parameter but not a symbol. Try
>
>// SET ACTIONVAR='&ACTION'
That doesn't work:
<https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/zos/2.5.0?topic=jcl-coding-symbols-in-apostrophes>

You can code symbols in apostrophes on [only --gil] the following keywords:
    The DD statement AMP parameter
    The DD statement PATH parameter
    The DD statement SUBSYS parameter
    The EXEC statement ACCT parameter
    The EXEC statement PARM parameter.

Not SET.  I believe the following works:

// SET Q=''''
// SET ACTIONVAR=&Q&ACTION&Q

Is this well-documented?

I hate JCL!

Does "ACTIONVAR" have too many characters?

>//PARMDD DD  *,SYMBOLS=JCLONLY
>SH /u/mqweb3/conf/ccc.sh aa &T2 x  &ACTIONVAR y &ACTIONVAR z
>/*

-- gil